February 13, 2014
syracuse.com ranked No. 1 newspaper website in America
syracuse.com was ranked the No. 1 newspaper website in the country by Scarborough research company.1 The report was released last week. The ratings are based on market penetration, which is the percentage of adults in the market who visit in a seven day period.
Scarborough also ranked The Post-Standard the No. 4 newspaper in America for readership penetration among Sunday newspapers.
Scarborough’s industry-leading audience data is accredited by the Media Rating Council and has long been relied-upon by those who plan and buy local media.
Tim Kennedy, President of Syracuse Media Group, attributed the ranking to the quality and quantity of news and advertising on the site. “There are a lot of great news websites in the country so it feels really good to be No.1,” he said. “This latest report from Scarborough is more evidence that the Syracuse Media Group is on the right track.”
February 4, 2014
Syracuse Media Group celebrates first anniversary
syracuse.com reports a record-month in January 2014
Syracuse Media Group announced a record digital audience for the month of January and celebrated its one-year anniversary this week.
The company, which publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products, experienced a year of big changes in 2013, including a move to an innovative 27,000-square-foot work environment in the heart of downtown Syracuse. Its flagship brands are syracuse.com and The Post-Standard.
“The changes we made one year ago are clearly working,” Syracuse Media Group President Tim Kennedy said. “Our slowest digital days now surpass our best days from a year ago. Our digital operations, social and SEO are better. And our journalism – retooled for success in the digital age – is stronger. All of which makes us uniquely positioned to help our advertising customers understand the complicated world of digital media.”
- Syracuse.com – the top news and information website in Central New York – experienced 30 percent growth in the second half of 2013. Mobile usage exploded with 1.4 million mobile users per month.
- Syracuse Media Group expanded its suite of digital marketing solutions. Digital revenue growth has been strong, led by a four-fold increase in its new digital visibility products.
- The Post-Standard newspaper continues to be one of the top 10 best-read newspapers in the country, based on market penetration, according to Scarborough, a national research firm.
- The Post-Standard won 18 writing and photography awards this year from the New York State Associated Press Association, more than any other newspaper of its size.
“And our audience set new records in January,” Kennedy added. “They responded to our exclusive coverage of the secret plans to replace the Carrier Dome, our publication of the New York State teachers’ salary database and analysis, our weather reporting, and our always insightful coverage of the great run of the top college basketball team in the land – the Syracuse Orange.”
The website tallied 37.5 million page views in January of this year. The success carried into February as the site set a one-day record with 1.7 million page views on Super Bowl Sunday.
- 2013 Scarborough Report Release 2 DMA Penetration Report ↩